Friday, June 1, 2012

Yard Longs

Popular during the late 1800's and early 20th century, these wonderful prints were named because of their size - 1 yard long.

Most of the most popular Yard Logs were created by French artist Paul deLongpre, and featured beautiful still life floral themes. Roses, hydrangeas, tulips, and lilacs were often painted by deLongpre, but he also painted birds, baby chicks, and other bucolic themes.

This beautiful Yard Long features romantic white roses and lilacs. I found the gorgeous old board already cut with the scalloped top which I painted white and distressed. I then decoupaged the print on the board and finished it with a piece of thin green trim.

This piece was in the shop for a whole 20 minutes before it was snatched up by a lucky customer.

I often wonder where all the things I have created over the last 25 years "live" now. Who enjoys them, who gave them as gifts...and which ones were destined for a thrift shop? Oh, if things could talk the stories they would tell!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh please make more of these yard longs Tony. I want one. I love It !

Tony Turner said...

I will! I am working on some now actually. They are GREAT over a bed or a sofa because of their proportions.